How can you avoid shoulder injury during travel? I have a few tips that can be helpful.
I’ve had a few business trips this year more than other years to continue to learn and bring it all back to you and my amazing staff. I love to learn and getting to travel a little is just a bonus for me. When I go by myself, I pack pretty light and just have a carry on. BUT when I take the WHOLE FAMILY…it’s definitely more of a mission in terms of luggage. It feels like we are taking the whole house hahaha
I recently changed out our luggage. Let me just say…I’ve been married 15 years…and we got a great set of luggage when we got married and started traveling together. So it’s the 1st time in 15 years that we got new bags. I know…I know…the bags were literally breaking before I got new ones. I know you do it too…we all do it (worst…we do it to our bodies as well).
Our last set of luggage had nice big wheels that we could drag along nicely. NOW…one of the carry-on bag wheels GLIDE…so nice and easy. The bag itself is light….and just rolls without any difficulty. I would recommend that if you are looking around for luggage and it’s been a while since you got new ones….they make them so much lighter and easier to glide around verses pulling. It is something to consider when picking out your luggage. Funny enough…I was noticing how some much younger people were carrying around these huge duffel bags. I remember when I was younger and had those too. It’s great when you are young and don’t have any shoulder problems (YET)…
My most important tips I can recommend for you to keep in mind during the busiest time of year to travel is …
- Use light weight, easy rolling
- Check in your luggage. This will help you not have to lift up and stow away a heavy bag or pull out when you land. It’s just easier too.
- Have patience or BE patient with others when putting away or taking out luggage from overhead bin. It’s busy…everyone is busy…it’s just better to be nice to others and hopefully they will be nice back.
- Get a massage before traveling! Gosh…not only will you be relaxed on your flight but relaxed when you get there! (btw…we are now offering massages too)
- Don’t wait to get help if you are already having shoulder problems. Stress of the discomfort or pain just make it worst…and makes it really easy to be sloppy in your lifting of heavy luggage.
It’s one of the most common things I hear all the time when people tell me about their shoulder pain. It always starts with something minor…nagging…achiness…goes away…comes back…you can live with it…
Sometimes you do…until you can’t anymore and it’s gotten in the way of you really and truly enjoying your time off. I see people rubbing their shoulders everywhere I go. What if you were able to get some answers about what to do next? What would it be worth to you just to get some information that you can use right away?
Hoang Tran OT/L, CHT
Disclaimer: As with all our pages, this is NOT a substitute for formal medical treatment or occupational therapy. It is intended to inform only. Hands on Therapy Services disclaims any liability for the decisions you make based on this information.
Hands on Therapy Services in Miami, FL helps people with arm and hand injuries to be able to stay active, pain free, and avoid surgeries. For more contact info please click here
You can follow us on social media: